[Sportsandrec] pilates

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 4 21:29:06 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Tell me about your experience with pilates.  What is the pace of the class?  What muscles are used and what is the purpose?  I am refering to pilates mat exercises.  You can do pilates on a device named the reformer.  But that is different.  What benefits did you get from class?
How helpful was the instructor?

I am considering taking it at my health club.  They offer them as a part of the membership.  They also offer private lessons for an additional fee.

The director of group classes raised concerns about my ability to grasp and do the exercises before they move on.  She says pilates is precise and controlled and they do 6-10 reps of each exercise.  and I will not have much time to figure out the move.  She says the instructors will be of assistance but they have to be accessible to other participants and keep the class moving.

Do you think its doable without previous experience?  I really don't want to get lost; its not worth my time.  The director highly suggested I do private sessions first before the class.  I am concerned too.  Without the benefit of seeing the exercises, I do not know whether I'll understand what to do.  I will ask them to explain it.  But they cannot slow down the class for me.
So I am wondering is this someone doubting my ability or is this real?  I know that due to the visual nature and pace of some classes, they are difficult to follow.  I don't know if this is one of them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ashley