[Sportsandrec] Road Racing

James Fetter jfetter at nd.edu
Sun Apr 19 03:24:55 UTC 2009

I'm not sure if this is also the case for running, but in swimming,
totally blind swimmers aren't even close to Olympic qualifying times at
this point. A lot of this is certainly attributable to social barriers
and problems with access to the best training programs, but part of it
is also a result of the advantages that vision gives a sighted athlete
in navigating a racecourse or racing lane, in getting exactly the right
form, etc. Sighted athletes at the elite level watch themselves and
others on video all the time; alternative techniques need to be
developed for and by blind athletes. Of course there is only one world
record holder, but most people at the elite level in track and field,
swimming, etc are at least close to that world record holder. Thus,
until the times of blind athletes at the elite level start approaching
those of sighted athletes, it seems worthwhile to have separate
competitions, and it is certainly worth doing so if it allows people who
otherwise wouldn't have the confidence to compete in anything to get
involved. After all, how else are alternative training techniques going
to be refined to the extent necessary to compete with sighted athletes
at the highest level, unless elite blind athletes have the chance to
network and train together on occasion? I don't like affirmative action,
if it means a permanently lowered set of expectations, but it may be a
necessary evil if it leads to full, fair integration and competition.
James