[Sportsandrec] Hiking

Lori M. Miller lori at asmodean.net
Tue Apr 21 03:40:02 UTC 2009

Ashley,

Just give it a shot. At one time I contacted the local cross country high
school coach and chatted with him. He had his athletes take turns running
with me. Since I wasn't up for the distances that they ran, I would often
run with them when they were resting between their  sprints or whatever they
were doing. So, in the beginning I would run one lap, take a break, run
another lap, etc then I started running two laps before a break, etc. Just
gradually increasing and concentrating on form and technique.

You might also see if your local YMCA has a running club or something.
Programs are just getting warmed up for the summer.

You might also see if the local fitness clubs may have indoor triathlons
that you could try out where you would do the running on  a treadmill, ride
the spin or exercise bike, and lap swim in the pool. If you get involved
then you might be able to recruit guides for when you want to run outside,
etc.

Lori