[Sportsandrec] Tandem parts, racing, guide runners...

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Tue Apr 21 20:21:13 UTC 2009

Hi Kelly,

What did you get for a frame? I love building up a bike from scratch, so do
the bears, although Nico is de-clawed.:) It is more satisfying for me to
ride a steed that I know first-hand from intimate experience.

Do you still have the Trek? Are you going to do your state time-trial this
year?

Anyone else? Kathleen? Can I persuade anyone else?

Regarding tandem parts, please feel free to call or write me with more
specific questions. Tandems are mostly made up of single-bike parts, so they
are readily available at all the usual places. I like CL and swap meets.
There is one this Saturday. Want me to keep a feel out for you? All my
sighted friends got my back at a meet if they know what I want. It is fun to
discover on my own as well, of course. If my hands get greasy, I need to
take my cane into the shower afterwards. That way, I don't get lost in
there.:)

By the way, when you were recovering from the on campus collision, your
doctor put you on restriction. By increasing the resistance on your exercise
bike, you were increasing the intensity of your workout in a given time.
However, were you not still pushing the restriction? I am sure you know what
you are doing, but the bears & I were surprised to hear of your twist on
that segment of your recovery.

Regarding racing, I do not want to race in a blind category, unless there is
genuine competition. I just want to race all the tandems that show up at an
event. The only thing about a blind category is that it raises the awareness
that I am even out there. So, I'd best hope to let everyone know that I am
out there when I am standing on the top step of the podium with my cane.

A point about running, just like on a tandem, a guide runner can slow-down
or speed up your run.

I know this from experience from running with an old girlfriend. She would
want me to pull her to give her a better workout. She wanted to get me a
T-shirt that read, "Blind Guy". Then, she would wear one that said,
"Girlfriend of Blind Guy". This was because she wore sunglasses and trailed
behind me, so it looked like she was actually the blind runner. Too funny!

Ron & the will run, but prefer to ride bears
Austin, TX
5one2 4one9 one37two
rock the bike at us family dot net