[Sportsandrec] Tandem parts, racing, guide runners...

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Wed Apr 22 15:43:03 UTC 2009

Hello Carly,

Congratulations on your ride! And kudos to your pilot for sharing the ride
with you. I think that says a lot about a person. Sounds like a great cause
to ride for as well.

A few weeks ago, I went with a pilot and another good friend up to meet the
Wounded Warriors, who were riding from San Antonio to Dallas, averaging
about 60 miles per day. I, too, wanted to show support for our troops. We
rode hard to get to the start on time. We were late, and too tired to chase
them down for too long, not knowing where they were on the route. Got in two
hours on the bike that day, though.

I rode 70 miles with a regular pilot on this past Sunday. He just bought
some new wheels for his tandem, so we had to try them out and look cool on
them. Our group rides against the wind for the first half of the ride, then
they turn up the pace for the way back, with the wind behind us. This makes
for a better ride and maybe a more thorough workout. On the way back, we
were holding 34 mph with two or three other guys. Tom told me to just hold a
steady pace. I was just beyond the point of talking, while breathing hard. I
was going near my limit, but able to hold it for a few intervals. Riders
would come up from the shelter of our draft, go in front of us, into the
wind, get tired, and drop back. Tom was amused. We held our own pretty well.

Regardless, I was tired when I returned to Bear Central. After my shower,
sans cane, I walked a few blocks to grab a large, double meat burger. My
legs were feeling heavy, but not yet sore. I stayed out all afternoon to
avoid the tempting, after-ride nap. I attended a recumbent bike fair and
then attended the evening church service. The next day, my legs were sore.
Ya know how I fixed the problem? I rode my rollers easy for about an hour. I
was singing to the radio and just turning the pedals around at a brisk, but
comfortable pace. When I was finished, the soreness was completely gone!

I am practicing riding my rollers in front of a fan, so I can hopefully
learn to ride them without any eyesight. I had my entertainment center on my
left, as a safety rail. I had nothing but living room carpet to my right.
The airflow of the fan at head/chest level may be the ticket for knowing
where the edges are without seeing them.

"Stranger in a foreign land
Fearful cries surround him.
Returning home a wounded man
To find he's been forgotten, yeah.
Courage is the badge he wears
Blinded by obsession.
Wars are won by those who dare
The memory still haunts him.
Remember the heroes
Who fight for the right to choose.
Remember the heroes
We've all got a lot to lose."

Sammy Hagar

Ron & the not our idea of flyin' fur bears
Austin, TX

Carly wrote, "I rode in the annual Cycle for Sight, here in San Francisco to
: benefit a LightHouse summer camp as well as soldiers returning from
: Iraq newly brain damaged.
:
: I rode the half century with a really decent pilot I met in spin class.
: I was sore the day after."

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---