[Sportsandrec] Beep baseball question and Joe's lunch

Jennifer Boylan jaboylan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 21:47:29 UTC 2009

Kelly,
Although the emphasis is on keeping beep baseball a blind sport, teams are
allowed to have up to two sighted players on their roster.  As you suggest,
this can help bolster the number of bodies on the bench!  These sighted
players are restricted in that they may not enter a game unless there is no
blind player available to fill that spot.  The NBBA requires vision
verification letters to be on file for each player presenting themselves as
at least legally blind.  Last summer in Houston we covered ourselves by
listing our pitcher and manager as players in case our numbers fell below 6
and we were in a forfeiture position by falling under 5.  This never
happened, so these sighted players did not enter the game for us.  Thank you
for reminding me of this possibility and avenue of introduction to the
sport!  I know sighted teams that come out and play us often catch the bug
and want to come out again.  One or two are semi-serious and practice up
before a game, bringing their own pitcher instead of relying on our trained
one and refusing to put the blinders up to bat near the end of the game when
we offer them that option so we'll actually get some balls out there to
field!  Not too many hits by the sighted batters, as can be expected,
although our pitcher does his best to find their swing and timing.  It's
funny how the eyes override the ears, as does habit; the sighted players
often run to first base even though third is the one buzzing.  We have fun
and make it fun--hopefully someone consistent will rise out of those groups
and come on board!
"My balls are always bouncing, to the left and to the right--it's my belief
that my big balls should be held every night!  We've got big balls..."
"Big Balls" AC/DC