[Sportsandrec] Water Joe's, Balance Balls, and a Rec Question

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 6 22:57:44 UTC 2009

Water Joe's is in reference to a drink I used to be able to get back home, but even though its made here in the states, I've never come across it...It might be up Joe's alley...It was caffeinated bottle water. Water with a kick, and man if you actually made coffee with it...DOUBLE WOW!!!

As for the balance ball, I have an instructor here who could certainly help with some exercises, but I have to get back to classes to contact her. Also, you can do other exercises besides the push-ups and sit-ups and gain benefits. For example, Dumbbell or band exercises while seated on the ball require you to engage core muscles more for support and balance. If you have problems keeping your balance while doing these exercises in the beginning, wrap a rolled up towel around the bottom of the ball and increase the diameter of the circle as your balance improves until you don't need it anymore. Sorry I can't offer much on this topic yet, the only experience I really have with the balance ball is in working with elderly individuals, and the workouts aren't very intense, but if you like to play the "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" game, that one I can do. Laugh if you like, but the little ol' ladies and gentlemen usually get a kick out of it.

Recreation Question:
Does anybody on the list do a lot of hiking, climbing, and similar outdoor adventure activities. I have an opportunity to work with blind youths this summer in an outdoor adventure program, and while I have a lot of techniques for handling these activities that work for me, I'm looking to expand my "tool chest" of alternative ideas that I may not have tried yet or thought of, and might be an alternative to what I can offer as a technique.

Thanks,
Kel "Thorny" (Its all about the knick names today)

"An itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the rain and washed the spider out..."
Sorry, I'm just not any good at the lyrics thing...