[Sportsandrec] WALKIN ROUND

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 00:40:32 UTC 2009

Anita said "I wish
there were places I could go for more exercise support.  Got any ideas?"

Anita, are there gyms near you?  I am assuming there are none or you can't
afford it.  Gyms have great exercise support.  Many gyms give you one or two
sessions with a personal trainer.  A trainer is someone who shows you
exercises and gives you advice on how much and intensity of exercise to meet
your goals.
Trainers are expensive but usually gyms give you a session or two.

You should check your community resources.  Sometimes there are public
facilities with exercises classes sponsored by the local government.  In my
county there are community and recreation centers.  They are publicly
operated by county employees but you still pay some fee but its less
expensive than a gym.
Another idea is colleges and universities.  many universities offer exercise
classes and perhaps you could take one for no credit.

I was fortunate to be able to afford sessions with a personal trainer after
doing an internship.  The federal government pays well.  Anyway, I got lots
of support and encouragement from the trainer.  I did this at the public
recreation center I referenced above; it is less expensive there.  Trainers
are also at the private gym i go to but its more money.  The trainer was
great at describing exercises and working one on one allowed me to ask
questions and not feel the stress of an exercise class.  In exercises
classes, I did not always keep up or understand what to do since there is
not adaquate description and the instructor did not show me since she was
leading the class.
Other than working out with a trainer I haven't gotten much support either.
But most people don't.  Most go alone and do their own thing at the gym.

Good luck with your goals.

Ashley