[Sportsandrec] WALKIN ROUND

Joe Shaw jrs3147 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 04:19:07 UTC 2009

Hey Ashley,
I disagree with you one place and would like to hear Kelly's thoughts on
this as well. You said the best weight loss method  is to burn calories
cardio vascularly such as on a treadmill. I am reading and talking to many
trainers who think just the opposite is true nowadays in that you can burn
just as many calories in less time by lifting heavy weight in lower reps.  I
like the explosiveness it builds in the muscles as well. Now that I think of
it, I would love to hear our judo guys and Justin, and everyone else's
thoughts on this. I have begun a bit over a month ago using this method of
lifting a lot and have really noticed some difference. I actually like
changing up my lifts in that one day per week I like to do a pyramid, where
I increase weight and lower reps as I go, do a middle to upper level lift
once a week where I am about seventy five percent with about ten reps per
set, and then I like to max out once and often twice per week where I lift
all I can in three sets of four or five reps per exercise.
I like the spinning too and the cardio but this is a whole different thing
that is fun and builds. I want the cardio but with the bulk to go with it.
In judo, the muscles you use are your core groups and it is a different
strength, there is no strength in my opinion as a grappler's strength.
Grappling is also a great cardio work out.
Lastly, Warning;  what I am about to say is going to drive Thornbury insane:
One of the best cardio work outs there is is to suit up, I wear wind suit
pants, a t-shirt, and a thick hoody and go  into the steamroom with loud
music in your ears and run in place as long as you can. Caution, when you
walk out of the room be careful of the air hitting you as it is intense, I
advise a rest when you stop running before charging out of the room. Also,
this is something I advise working up to and not something for beginners.
Start off small timewise and work up. Do it for ten minutes at first to get
a good taste. TAKE WATER IN WITH YOU AND DRINK FREQUENTLY! Drink!
"Maybe I'm the one who is a skitzofrenic psycho" Skitzofrenic Psycho Puddle
of Mud
JSNM