[Sportsandrec] WALKIN ROUND

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 00:26:18 UTC 2009

Anita,

There already is a club for those wanting to be in shape, the sports and rec
division.

Anyway, I know what you mean about wanting workout buddies.  Having people
to workout with has many benefits including motivation, more fun, and if
lifting assistance with it when you are getting fatigued.

If you really want to have people to workout with, its best to join a gym.
Voice your wish.  If you can't afford that just ask around.  If you belong
to a church or community organization ask around there.  If you have
friendly neighbors ask them.  When the weather is pleasant I find it real
beneficial just to have a brisk walk outdoors.  I prefer taking long walks
with someone because not only is it more fun but I don't have to use my
cane.  My hand would get tired and I walk faster sighted guide.  It frees me
from worrying about orientation.  Don't think the wrong thing; I am totally
comfortable with a cane but for exercise purposes I'd rather not need it.
It frees my hand to move while I walk then.  So far I've just power walked
with family members.  I don't have a workout buddy since I only know a few
people at my gym and the one girl I asked did not work as we could not
coordinate schedules.  But sometimes I wish I had a workout partner since it
can get lonely at the gym.

Anyway, good luck with the weight loss.  The best exercise for that is
cardiovascular such as using a treadmill.

Ashley