[Sportsandrec] Boxing Tips?

Everett Gavel e.gavel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 22:18:56 UTC 2009

Hi Ashley, and all.

Thanks for the ideas, Ashley.  I like that, about the noisemakers.  If I can
find some sort of stretchy bracelet thing with jingle bells on it, I can
just ask my opponent to put them around his ankles when it's my turn in the
ring. But until then I can at least ask my opponent / trainer to simply keep
a dialogue going if they can, yes.  Good ideas, and so simple you gotta love
'em.

The equipment boxers usually have is, when practicing, gloves and headgear.
the 'headgear' is not really a helmet, but more of a well-padded harness
around your noggin.  A helmet is more solid, while this boxing headgear is
more open to let air in and sweat out.  But it protects your head  with soft
padding in strategically-placed spots.  If you've never yet felt a pair of
boxing gloves, they are well-padded, even moreso than the helmet.  They're
actually like mittens, but big honkin' mittens with lots of padding so as to
usually neither bruise nor cut your opponent.  Though both can of course
happen, the harder the boxer can hit.

Where I'm doing this is not at an actual training facility, though it seems
to be turning into one.  It's at my church (www.TheMovementChurch.info).  We
started a Wednesday night program for the kids, which involved wrestling and
boxing, with instruction along the way as they got on the mat or into the
ring.  It quickly had to be moved to Thursday nights as it overpowered
everything else we had going on on Wednesdays already.  So now it's a
once-a-week thing we do on Thursday evenings.  And starting tomorrow,
actually, we're bringing in some blackbelt and instructor of something that
I think is called 'Brazilian Jujitsu."  And we're opening up this
self-defense class to adults as well as the kids.  Should be pretty cool.
We'll see how or what it all morphs into over the summer.

One of our pastors is a kickboxer, wrestler, and martial artist.  He's who I
got into the ring with, and yes, he certainly did take it easy on me, though
thankfully not too much. Glad he did though, because he could've knocked me
out in probably 10 seconds if we were in a full-on no-holds-barred match.
But he got me into the ring to teach me, as with most of us who choose to
take that step up.  So I'm learning.

Yes, I have a little vision. Cracks me up when someone says, "Oh, so you're
not blind," though.  I go and speak to kids at schools and scout groups and
Boys' and Girls' Clubs throughout the year, and it's all too common of a
statement as you may well know.  Though it's an opportunity to then explain
that, yes, I'm blind.  That 5% in one eye doesn't help much - and it usually
gets me into trouble more than it helps.

In our church, down in the basement, without any natural sunlight, it's like
the lights are off to me anyway.  So, no, I can't see my opponent while
fighting.

Thanks again for those useful tips.

Strive On!
Everett