[Sportsandrec] Making Descriptions Clear for All - Was: Boxing Tips?

Everett Gavel e.gavel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 21:49:46 UTC 2009

Hi Ashley, and all,

Ashley, I may have mixed-up Joe, as I did reference.  But I've now realized,
too, that I seem to have gotten a couple messages normally, while they have
been delayed with some of the subscribers.  No worries though, it's all
good.  ;-)

Regarding the descriptions of kickboxing and other things, that brings up a
great point.  One that I think this division could be a world-changer with.

I've often thought of, but never yet acted upon, the desire to gather some
good, descriptive, creative writers.  And leading them to put together a
tutorial of sorts, to help other writers learn how to describe things better
so that even if you're not able to see it, you can certainly visualize it.
That line of thought came about due to all these damnable writing contests
where they have you look at a picture and write something on however it may
have inspired you.  Well, how can you be inspired if you can't see a
picture, y'know?  Few sites do this well, even though all it takes is a
brief paragraph of description telling what the picture is of.  I lost count
of the times I've said, "Oh yeah Baby, I'm entering this one because I want
that prize!" - and then finding that the picture was not at all described
for those who can't see it or can't see it clearly.

My similar thought is that the S&R Division could gather such writers, and
some sporting experts or trainers, and put together a team to write various
sporting 'tutorials' where different moves are described and tips for better
descriptions are given.  It need not be something special, to simply be
better at describing a move when you're talking to your students, y'know?

I think we talked about this here previously, regarding aerobics classes and
teaching the instructors to simply be more verbally clear on what the next
moves are.  This would of course help those who have poor eyesight and may
be a few rows back and struggling to follow along too.  It's not just for
people who are truly blind.  Better descriptive skills by instructors can an
d will have an amazingly far-reaching benefit for all levels of students in
most any class being taught.

Please share your thoughts for such possibilities.  Thanks.  Because then,
at the very least, this thread can and will at least be found when someone
who thinks about similar things, does an Internet search.  (smile)

Strive On!
Everett
www.DreamingInTandem.blogspot.com