[Sportsandrec] Bike Talk

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Jul 9 02:28:29 UTC 2009

Kelly wrote, "Lori,
:
: I miss my racing/competing days and the training and discipline that went
with them, but between getting old and having very few chances to get out on
the road, I doubt I'll ever "race" again. I shed a small tear for every bike
I sold from my "stable," (which numbered seventeen at one point). I've been
trying to get more involved with the local bike club, but the ice has been a
little tough to break, and I get a sense of "apprehension" among some
members about the first blind biker in their group. So, for now, its just
throwing one of the old single frames in the trainer and
spinning...thousands of miles on the rear tire, one mile on the front."

Hi Kelly,

Man, I read this note with heart felt compassion. I can truly relate.

When I was at the Louisiana Center in 1995, I saw my first carbon fiber
cane. While I thought it was cool, all I could think about was how sad I
felt for leaving my bike at home and my sport in hopes to become a
respectable blind person.

For three years, I felt something missing in my life. I'd be out teaching
O&M to students and hear a cyclist ride by, clicking his/her indexed
shifters. My heart would be riding off into the distance with thhem. I even
fell off the responsible blind guy wagon and went riding on a single bike. I
would sell one to ditch the evidence and buy another, like a destructive
habit.

When I bought my first tandem at 29, I was out of cycling shape. I was
reasonably healthy, walking several miles a day from teaching O&M, but I
knew what true cycling fitness felt like and I missed it. I bought a
recumbent tandem, because I literally thought I was too old to be going
fast. I wanted to be comfortable instead.

Well, after a year of lifting weights and riding the recumbent, my fitness
came back around. I also met other riders who got me on the back of their
conventional, upright tandems. I had to get used to narrow, road saddles all
over again. The following year, I even bought my own upright tandem. I was
up to two. I found a lot of female pilots with that bike, because it was
smaller and more comfortable for them to drive. The following year, I rode
from LA to Boston in 32 days. I was 31. At 35, I went to a world
championship with a UCI license and medaled in the Tandem Matched Sprints.
We also had a top ten time-trial finish. I won another silver the next year
and a bronze two years after that. We had the horsepower for a silver, but
made a tactical error. I was 38. That same year, I set the 80+ course record
in '06. At 39, I set the Texas State Men's Open Tandem Championship course
record. I beat the previous record by over 3 minutes.

Now, I am 41 and going for my sixth state championship. I say all of this
because you may be feeling the lack of fitness rather than your age. I know
guys on my team, who are in their 50's, 60's, and 70's who are still very
fast on the bike. There are even racers out there in their 80's! Cycling is
so friendly to your joints that you can excel at it your entire life.

Even today, I did not feel like riding my trainer. However, the State
championship one month away motivated me to train. I put on a yellow jersey
and actually had a good ride. That is one of the best reasons for racing. It
helps me overcome my flesh's tendency to be passive and lazy.

In terms of finding pilots, I know many riders who will not ride a club ride
until they are fit enough to go 30 miles at an average pace. They will call
me to just go off and ride by ourselves. That is okay with me. So, find
anyone to go ride and/or get on your trainer. Once you get some basic
fitness, you can make that group ride and start proving who you are. Set a
goal to pursue, like a 50 mile charity ride next Spring, or a century by the
end of next season. Without that motivation, you will reach your goal of
getting nowhere.

Oh, yeah! Go out and get that bike that rekindles the passion in you to ride
it! Even on a trainer! Find some music, or Tour de France coverage to put
you back into your element. I bet you have cycling experience that I can
only dream about. I bet you will be surprised how much it comes back to you.
Let's find some event to ride together next year.

Like Lance says, "It is not about the bike."

Best,

Ron & the cycling is about fitness, fitness is about quality of life bears
Austin, TX

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---