[Sportsandrec] my first ten miles

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Sun Jul 12 19:48:39 UTC 2009

Hi LM!

Sounds like you have a great shop! I am so impressed that they took the time
to set you up.

LM, When going around a pretty hefty curve, I've read you lean a certain
way. You think after all Ron has written on this list, I'd know, but it
never really applied until now. Do you lean into the curve?

Ron, Yes, lean with the bike. I like to pretend that I am keeping my
shoulders parallel to my handlebars. If that does not feel secure enough for
me, I may lower my upper body and lean a little further. Your captain may
make little adjustments that will cue you in on whether you need to lean
more or less. These may be verbal or just through the bike. For gentle
curves, I do not do much. For faster, or tighter turns, I like my hands to
be wide and or low.

LM, Also, any pedaling tips for people with bad knees? I've got a bum knee
and the last 3 miles were getting kind of tough on my knees. Any stretching
before and after to help eliminate the strain?

Ron, When you first start riding, go easy to get warmed up. Also, most new
riders pedal gears that are too hard. Get into an easier gear and learn to
pedal a little faster. Think of it as hammering a nail. You can use a 20
pound hammer and struggle to hit the nail once to drive it through the wood.
Or, you can use a three pound hammer to hit it ten times. Your muscles will
stay fresh for more miles. If you pedal too slow, you will feel your legs
get tired. If you pedal too fast, you will feel your lungs burn. Find that
sweet spot and make it faster with time. Without knowing where the pain is
specifically, I cannot say for sure. Cycling may actually help your
condition. You are off to a good start with a careful initial fit. There is
more they can do if you need to pursue further assistance. For now, I'd ride
easy rides like the one you described. Try to isolate the pain and talk with
the shop. You may want to hold off on clipless pedals for now. This way, you
will have the freedom to adjust your foot on the pedal to see what feels
best. Remember to keep the ball of your foot over the axle of the pedal for
starters. Pay attention to the position of your foot as you ride. Is the
heel out or in? Try to straighten it out so that it is parallel with the
bike. It takes miles for most of us to figure out our preferred riding
position.
:
LM, Also, how about hand position? I've got a bum shoulder and keep changing
my hand position to alliviate the ache I get in my clavical and shoulder.
Should I keep my hands a certain way?

Ron, Actually, most of us keep moving our hands around the bar as we ride,
to change pressure points. Sometimes, on long rides, I will drop one hand at
a time and wiggle my fingers to stimulate bloodflow. There are two types of
stoker bars on tandems. One is called a stoker, or bull-horn  bar. It is
basically shaped like a "U". It comes straight out from the stem and simply
sweeps forward, toward your pilot. These bars are commonly found on spin
bikes. I can ride those, but prefer not to for a few reasons. My preference
is a traditional road bar. It comes straight out from the stem, goes forward
a bit, then curls back toward you underneath, like a ram's horns. They may
look more racerish and uncomfortable, but offer a few advantages. The main
one is more hand positions for you. Not only will your hands appreciate it,
your back will too. I like to go into the drops to stretch my back. Also, in
a turn, I may get into the drops to better brace my upper body. You will
have to keep your weight from shifting to the outside of the turn. When you
feel your weight trying to move, that means that the curve is fun! The bike
will steer better as well, trust me. Dropped bars have fake brake levers on
them, because most of the cycling community ride on them most of the time .
In fact, manufacturers have even put the shifters on the brakelevers for
convenience. If you have, or get a road bar, do not settle for anything less
than Cane Creek stoker levers. They are very comfortable, moreso than the
Dia Compes that were around for years. You may ride another tandem that has
the older style and agree with me. They feel like the Campagnolo shifters
that your bike uses up front.
:
LM, Also, as a stoker, what should I say or do when the captan is shifting
gears without really knowing what gear is best? I have to admit that my
husband is newer to bike riding than I am, but I also never shifted a gear
in my life. He keeps shifting the gears all around and it totally sucks for
me in the back.

Ron, Your new bike has some of the best gears in the industry and there are
36 or 40 of them, so, be very loving and supportive of your man. When he is
all over the place, he is learning. He will figure it out. Here are some
tips for him. The right hand controlls either 9 or 10 gears on the back
wheel. The thumb button makes the pedalling harder, for more speed. The
index finger will make the rear shift down, or into easier gears. He will do
most shifting with his right hand, for the rear derailler.

Now, the left hand controls the four gears on the crankset. On your bike,
they are actually just in front of your crankset. The left shifter shifts
opposite of the right lever. Think of it as symetrical. The left index
finger makes the pedaling harder and the left thumb makes it easier. Now
here is the main point to understand. Once the left lever has the chain in
one of the four that feels good to both of you, leave it alone for now.
Focus only on shifting the right lever. If the pedaling gets too easy, click
the thumb one click. If it gets easy again, as you build more speed, click
it one more time. If the pedaling gets too slow, because of a hill, click
the index finger one click. If you shove the index finger over all the way,
it will actually take three clicks and three gears. That is a very large
difference in your pedaling speed and can be uncomfortable. With the
right-hand  shifter, Joe can drive the bike like it is a car with a nine
speed transmission. Again, I like to shift my bikes one click at a time most
of the time. This way, my legs can keep in constant communication with the
bike's momentum.

Now, a pointer about the left shifter. You use it when the right shifter
does not have the gears you want. For example, you are on flat terrain,
rolling along, discussing the movie you saw together the previous night. You
are approaching a steep uphill. Joe uses his right index finger to select an
easier gear. There is not enough for this hill, because it looks bigger and
scarier. So, Joe then uses his left thumb to click the front shifter into
the next easier *range*  of gears. Now, it is too easy, so he then hits his
right thumb to click the rear gears up one or two until you both like the
gear. This sounds wordy and teadious, but it will become second-nature to
Joe in a few rides.

I had the Campy shifters on the back of two of my tandems for three years. I
even went to worlds that way. I was the only blind stoker shifting the
gears. Now, I let the pilot shift, but I enjoy teaching them how to do it. I
feel that it helps them when they go back to riding their single bikes. My
shifters are the same Italian ones your Da Vinci has, so I know them very
well. I prefer them.

LM, I'm thinking I need to learn how to clip in soon because my feet go all
wild on me when he shifts gears sometimes. But then, he doesn't always hold
the bike steady, so I am afraid of clipping in and risking an ankle injury
or something.

Ron, If your bike has the independent pedaling system, you have the ability
to slow your pedaling anytime you feel you need to do so. If Joe blows a
shift and your feet feel like they are flailing, just slow down your stroke
until the gear comes back to you. Now, if his pedaling speed is simply
faster than yours, you may ask him to shift up, or learn to increase your
spinning. It will come. Some clipless pedals have more float than others.
Float is the ability for you to pivot your foot on the pedal, without
clipping out of the pedal. Normally, you would pivot your ankle to the outer
side of the bike to release your foot from the clip, just like a snow ski
binder. This is normally about 6 degrees. Some pedals may offer 12 degrees
or more of float. Everyone has different preferences. You will get used to
clipping in after a few rides. Once the bike passes that bail out angle, you
will clip out without even thinking about it.

LM, On a tandem, when is a good time to use the front derailer versus the
rear derailer?

Ron, Use the rear derailler most of the time to fine tune what gear you
want. Use the front, or left shifter to change the range of gears. For
example, the front has very low, low, middle, and high ranges. Then use the
nine on the rear, or right to find that sweet gear. Low is easy for going up
hills. High gears are harder, but are for going fast on level, or down
hills. Wait until you feel that first good tailwind, It will feel like you
are flying! Try to avoid crossing the chain. For example if Joe is in the
easiest gear on the left shifter, he should not be in the hardest two or
four gears on the right. You may need to let him know when the chain does
not like it. It may feel or sound not right.
:
LM, Also, how do you tandem enthusiasts clean your bikes?

Ron, I take mine out in the grass and squirt water bottles at it to remove
dirt. I use my hand as a wash cloth to feel that I have it all clean. Just
keep the water away from rotating parts. You do not want water in the
bearings. Use a light lube on the chain when it starts to sound dry. I
prefer Pro Link, because it is pretty clean. Since your bike is new and
clean, do not be afraid to feel the chains and where they go. Count the
gears on the rear wheel. Get familiar with your bike, it is okay. If your
bike was a chunk of change, which I bet it was, feel free to keep it in the
house. This is common for cyclists who may leave their garage doors open
longer than usual. Otherwise, you may want to lock it up in the garage. Fine
bicycles are not cheap, but really make the difference in enjoying a great
ride. I rode my $7K tandem this morning for 60 miles. It gets cheaper by the
mile the more you ride it. Once you get used to the mechanical stuff, it
simply becomes a great way to spend time with someone, or a group. The
health benefits will more than pay for the price of entry. Remember to check
the tire pressure before every ride.

Feel free for you or Joe to call me with questions.

"This car is automatic!
It's systematic!
It's hydromatic!
Well, it's greased lightning!"

Greased Lightning, from the original motion picture soundtrack, Travolta?
Sha na na?

Best,

Ron & the enjoy the ride bears
Austin, TX