[Sportsandrec] more tandem tips needed

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Wed Jul 15 20:35:23 UTC 2009

LM: I want to thank everyone for their wonderful tandem advice and I also
want to apologize for hogging your inbox lately with my tandem questions.

Bears: Better you than me.:) I would rather post away, knowing that someone
is listening. I think riding a tandem is one of the few sports where a blind
person can really go all out and get a great workout. Today, I rode 60 miles
in the heat with a guy I may race the State TT with next month. After the
ride, he left and I just sat outside my place, waiting for the energy needed
to lift my bike over my head to hang it up. It was pretty funny to be
cognisant of what was happening to me.

LM: It is amazing though how complex starting a new activity can be.

Bears, Remember, it gets better and will become second nature. These are
only growing pains.

LM: We did have some real problems with starting. Now, the tandem bike shop
dude suggested I pedal like mad on Joe's "go" and he then get on the bike
and situated. I don't think Joe has ever trusted me enough to do this. Our
starts are always really shaky and wobbly and we crashed the bike sideways
Sunday. After the small crash, I suggested we start the way I previously
started pre our new baby. We both chose a side to push off from and we
pushed on "go." This actually worked really well for us.
:
: My question is, are their better ways? Is pushing off together bad? Or
should one of us pedal like crazy while the other balances the bike at first
and then situates?

Bears: The way the shop explained is called the Proper Method, coined by
Bill Mc Cready at Santana. It is not for everyone, especially me. I can do
it, but prefer not to. I do not like to sit up on the saddle, leanout to
counter the bike for my pilot to hold it up. I do not like my upper body
weight hammering me down on the saddle. My saddle position is great. I have
been perfecting it for many miles. I have a fair grasp of the science of how
the body interacts with the bike and know what I like in a saddle. However,
I believe my position is good when I am cranking on the pedals. My body
weight is actually being supported some by my pedaling. To be on the saddle
with no power is not my thing. If it works for others, that is fine.

My preferred way is what I call the Improper Method. We both get on the
bike. I swing my leg over the rear wheel, while my pilot swings his/her leg
over the handlebars. This way, there is no chance of nicking the paint on
the pilot's toptube with a cleat. Plus, it looks real cool. Usually, we are
on the rider's left side of the bike. Now, we both stand over the toptube. I
know some riders who get on the saddle, but that is not recommended. When on
a properly adjusted saddle, the rider is too tippy, and the legs are too far
extended to be stable. So, we are both over the toptube, standing
flat-footed. We both agree on which pedal to start off and clip in, while it
is in the downstroke. When ready, we both bring that foot up to the top of
the powerstroke. This is crucial to quickly get the bike up to speed. When
we are both ready, we both push down on the pedal and both shove off with
whichever foot is still on the ground. Without the foot at the top of the
powerstroke, you both end up skateboarding the bike and that is geeky as you
hop a few times with the other foot. The way I explained, you both should
have to shove off just once.

Once that foot comes to the downstroke, use it to raise your boodie up to
the saddle. Keep pedaling. Clip in the other foot only once the bike has
become stable. When crossing a busy intersection, this becomes more
important.

When coming to a stop, whichever foot is already in the downstroke, the
other foot will unclip and be ready to come to the ground as the bike comes
to a stop.

LM: The more I ride, the more I really want to clip in--not only for my
knee, but for efficiency and fluidity. My foot is flying off the pedals at
times and I'm really uncomfortable with that. I actually feel like I am
focusing so much energy on keeping my foot in the right place.
:
: Everyone's suggestions on pedaling onm the lower gears is helping my knee
a lot. Less pain.

Bears: Now that you have minimized the possibilities of a more serious knee
condition, you are ready to clip in. I recommend Shimano SPD pedals. They
will come with cleats. When I jump on someone else's tandem, chances are
that they will already have that same system back there. I recommend
mountain, or cyclo-cross shoes, because the cleat is surrounded by the lugs
of tread. This makes your cleats easier to walk in and will prolong the life
of the cleat, because it will not hit the ground until the shoe wears, over
time. The souls will be stiffer and more efficient, while improving comfort.
You can bring them to spin class as well. Most spin bikes have SPD pedals.

LM: Now if I can only get around the hand pain.

Bears: Ditch those bullhorn bars.:) See if the shop will swap you for some
road bars with Cane Creek stoker levers. You may have to pay the difference.
If you do not get credit, keep your bars and original pedals as well. Ride
on the hoods of those levers and move your hands around regularly. Keep your
elbows bent slightly to absorb shock and prevent your upper body movement
from steering the bike. You can steer from the back seat as much as your
pilot. Keep that in mind and learn to ride smooth, steady, and predictable
to your pilot.

LM: But all that aside, tonight we had some wobbly issues. I suggested to
Joe that he not move his shoulders so much. This actually helped with the
steadiness of the bike, but there was a lot of wobbliness despite this small
change.
:
: Could this be because he seemed more tired than usual? Is it hand
position? Bendy elbows or not bendy enough? He did get tired toward the end
which also led to less communication which of course ...

Bears: There are a few ideas going through my mind on this. When in a bigger
gear at lower speeds, the bike will wobble. Bigger gears cause newer riders
to move their upper body with each pedal-stroke. You both might be pulling
on the bars, trying to get some leverage to push those gears.

Where are his hands? Many newer riders want to ride on the tops of the bars,
near the stem. No one really rides there. Most ride with their hands on the
rubber hoods of the shift/brake levers, called brifters. Or, they put their
hands at the first bend, just above the brifter hoods. Otherwise, they are
in the drops. His hands should be wide for a better stance and control of
his upper body weight.

Also, if your pedaling is out of sync, that may cause wobbling. As you ride
more together, you may find non-visual hints that you need to get in synch
with Joe. Maybe you can say, "Right up", for right pedal up, then continue
pedaling in synch.

Remember that this is a new activity. Neither of you may have the core
strength to be more solid on the bike this early. It will get better. Is he
keeping his elbows bent? Both of you should imagine that you are holding
yourselves above the bars without your arms. Again, that takes core
strength. These short rides you are doing will build that up without
thinking about it. Just keep doing it and remember to get ice-cream together
on occasions.
:
LM: Tonight I broached the subject of gears on the stoker's handlebars and
he was a lot more open to that idea than I thought he would be. So, we might
just do that. I'm super anxious about this idea since I've never shifted a
gear in my life, but I tend to ask him to shift up or down anyways so why
not, right? Also, I see the benefits too when and if I switch captains. any
thoughts on this?
:
Bears: As much as I loved having the shifters on two of my bikes for three
years, I have reconsidered. First of all, you are correct in that it is a
fair division of labor. You will have the advantage when having different
pilots. Also, You will have a better understanding of the momentum curve of
a tandem, which takes longer to accelerate and decelerate. Today, my pilot
suggested that I put the shifters in back for our state championship. He
will be out, on the aerobars, in a tuck, away from the shifters. I may do
that, but for an intense hour of racing, it is probably not worth it.

Here is my main point. While I enjoy shifting and demonstrating my own
competance as a rider and an athlete, who happens to be blind, I also enjoy
watching my new pilots learn to shift better under my coaching. I believe I
have helped many riders understand momentum and how to maximize it, even
when they go back to their single bikes. Efficiency is not just for racers.
It is for getting the most performance out of your efforts. That is
satisfying to me.

Most riders use Shimano shifters. Shimano is the MicroSoft of cycling. You
and I have Campagnolo shifters. I started out with Campy on my single bikes,
back in 1986. I am also of Italian descent, so that makes sense. If you can
fit the front of the tandem, you can practice trying to shift them on an
indoor trainer to see if you want to go through the work of putting them in
back. You will definitely need road bars, then!

LM: : Any ideas from anyone about any of my questions would be greatly
appreciated. We love all the suggestions so far.
:
: As a disclaimer ...
:
: Joe really is not a bad guy. I feel like I am slamming him on these
emails, but it definitely isn't just him.

Bears, Both of you are not only new to marraige and tandeming, but also
cycling. If even one of you were an experienced cyclist, you would be much
further along. The main thing is that you both are out there, doing it. That
deserves a lot of credit! You are both learning all the normal stuff that
goes along with those three new factors in your lives.

LM: After all, I through the tantrum on Sunday and quit pedaling. It slowed
us way down. We usually cruz at about 13 to 15. When I stopped we went down
to 9 or 10. when we haul butt though we can top out at 26. We're excited to
work up to faster speeds.

Bears, A few closing thoughts. First of all, be mindful of your blood sugar.
Cycling burns more calories per hour than both of you may realize. Because
it is a low-impact activity, with lots of fresh air for ventilation and
cooling, you may not be aware of the energy you both are actually expelling.
The shortness of patience and fatigue you mentioned from Joe sound like you
both were running out of usable blood sugar, called glycogen. When this
happens, irritability is one of the symptoms. This is called bonking. Carry
energy bars with you and keep hydrating. Cyclists will often say, "Eat and
drink, even when you do not feel like it." Within reason, of course. Just
think of how buff you both are getting!

I would use caution when going fast at this points. I will often slow down a
new pilot until we are comfortable with each other and the momentum curve of
a tandem. Tandems are like sports cars. They are powerful and can go fast.
But if not careful, you can get in over your head. Does Joe know about
gravel? The proper position in the lane? Slipping off the pedal? One hand on
the bars while drinking? Enjoy my chosen sport with like passion, but be
careful out there!

Feel free for you or Joe to contact me by phone. I might be able to explain
things better verbally.

"As soon as you are able
 Woman, I am willing
To make the break that
We are on the brink of

My cup is on the table
Uur love is spilling
Waiting here for you
To take and drink of

So if you're tired
Of the same old story
Turn some pages
I'll be here when you are ready
To roll with the changes
Yeah, yeah, woo

I knew it had to happen
Felt the tables turning
Got me through my darkest hour

I heard the thunder clapping
Felt the desert burning
Until you poured on me
Like a sweet sunshower

snip...

Oh, you know, you know
You know you`ve got to

Keep on rolling, oh, yeah
Keep on rolling
Roll with the changes

Keep on rolling
Keep on rolling, oh, yeah
Keep on rolling, oh, yeah
Ooh, gotta roll with the changes"

Roll with the Changes, REO Speedwagon

Best,

Ron & the we're all napping while Dad busts a rhyme bears
Austin, TX

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---