[Sportsandrec] My First "New Era" TT

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Jul 16 01:16:20 UTC 2009

Kelly,

Good job! I am impressed and quite surprised!

Glad you had fun, too!

I'd be careful modifying the Trek? Everything on that bike is matched to its
designed purpose. For example, if you switch from the 42 to a 53, the front
derailler will no longer follow the arch of the bigger ring. You may have to
file it, or raise it high enough off the ring to where it may interfere with
shifting into your creeper gear. I would go no less than a 54t ring. Do you
have an 11 tooth rear cog? If you go to a 32mm or 28, or 25mm tire on a 26
inch rim, your final drive ratio will be more like a 24 inch wheel. Are the
rims narrow enough for skinny, road tires?

I'd keep it stock and use it for new pilots, night rides, and romantic
nights to the restaurant with a female pilot. Those are really fun.

Might you ride with her again?

In Minnesota, I had one brave female take me out to a ride on my 26" mtn
tandem. I kid you not, once other small women saw how well Julie was doing
and how fast we were going, I had picked up two others. Note, there was
nothing romantic. It was all kept professional, since they had boyfriends or
husbands. Plus, I wanted to ride with them again. That seeing is believing
trend with the ladies happened at other rides as well. I had more female
pilots than male for many months, so much that I thoroughly modified my 26"
mtn tandem into a fire-breathing road bike. For the technical write up, send
me a private e-mail and I will send it to you.

I had guys riding up to me in the pack saying, You know, she is just using
you to go faster than her husband." I did not care. Without her, or anyone
else, I'd be at home. The least I could do is give any pilot a stronger
ride.

One of my better friends still today, calls herself the blonde leading the
blind. She wore a patch on her sleeve that said, "Please Don't Pet Me or
Feed Me, I'm Working She had a great, progressive attitude. She used to love
the look on the guys face as she would pass them going up a hill. They would
have a look of terror, being passed by a girl, but would then relax when
they saw that she was on a tandem with a man. I would then say, "But tandems
aren't supposed to climb well."

I had another lady pilot who rode with me a lot up there. She was very much
a part of me being fit enough to make the National Paralympic Cycling Team
in '03. We'd go racing on Monday nights, out of Maplewood MN. She was an
excellent cyclist. She said that she would probably be intimidated by the
tandem if I did not have the shifters in the back seat, but I bet she would
have done well. She was a Campy girl already.

Now that I have a real road tandem for female pilots, the KHS is back to
being a mountain/hybrid bike, with 2.1 inch tires, fenders, rack/trunk,
mirror, bells, reflectors/lights, and a kickstand. I have road bars for the
back seat, though, with Campy hoods. They, like the Cane Creeks are a little
chunkier and offer more surface area for comfort. I have pretty big hands
for a guy my size.

So, build up that Bianchi! Do you have Craig's List where you are?

I tried to send you something last week off line, but your server sent it
back.

For that TT, did you go out too hard, because of the excitement from a race?
If she was not breathing hard, it could be that she recovered already. Or,
she may have backed off a bit, since it was her first time on a tandem.
Caution is a good thing.

If my pilot is light and strong enough, it almost feels like I am on a
single. This one guy is 5'10 and 135 pounds. I can motor him up the hills
with the best of them.

Best,

Ron & the keep on rolling bears
Austin, TX