[Sportsandrec] New to the list.

Charlie Richardson charlieofalbany at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 19 16:07:07 UTC 2009

Hello,

I just joined this list for a couple reasons.  I did see a couple items on the agenda at National Convention and wanted to attend, but conflicts kept me from doing so.

I have for the past 3 plus years been doing machine based Pilates with a personal trainer here in Albany.  Although it has helped me with several conditions, back spasms and pain in the shoulder, I think there is more that I should be doing.

I've also had quite the year in changes in my life, especially living alone and letting my healthy diet go.  I've been put on medicine for high blood pressure and think that if I go back to my healthy diet I can probably get off the meds.  I bought a blood pressure monitor and although my blood pressure is better now on the meds, my concern is my elevated pulse.  It's just never under 80 anymore.  A friend said I should be doing more cardio exercises.  I use to have a monitor that strapped to my chest and would keep me in a targeted zone.  I don't know where it is and looked on several websites and the Oregon Scientific seems to be out of stock everywhere which makes me believe it might be discontinued.

Just wondering what solutions other blind people are using to keep in shape.  I wanted to see the accessible rowing machine at convention, but as I said before.

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself and see what kind of help I could get here.