[Sportsandrec] My 20 year old bike

Lori M. Miller lori at asmodean.net
Mon Jul 20 03:39:09 UTC 2009

Keith,

I have a similar age bike here that needs some TLC and maybe I'll embark on
that journey next.

Sound like you have your pedals out of synch. It is true that some cyclists
do this to try and eliminate the dead zone in the pedal stroke.  I rarely
ride this way, but that is because I prefer to be in cynch on cornering and
read a lot through the pedals. One time out in the middle of nowhere we
dropped our timing chain and we were on a deadline so my pilot didn't
realize that we were out of phase. When we reached that first corner, I
immediately caught on and it gave me a good laugh. I think when riders ride
out of phase it is just a little, not a lot. Now some of the newer bikes
offer independent pedaling.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they put the straight or bull horn
on the back of a tandem. The drops offer so many different hand positions.
The only time I've had trouble with bars that are not the straight bar is
having my pilots hips fit between the hoods on my bars.
Happy miles,
Lori