[Sportsandrec] Multiple shifters on tandems

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Mon Jul 20 18:11:47 UTC 2009

Hi Kelly,

Dude, please do not think that I am picking on you, or trying to upstage you
like the Contidor/Armstrong battle in this year's Tour de France. However,
once again, I have a different opinion.

First of all, let me remind you that all my multi-geared tandems currently
have the shifters up front. I did this soon after I began racing, for those
split second moments that required a communication from the pilot for me to
jump to respond to an attack, rather than me, downshifting for a hill.

For three years, I rode two road tandems with rear shifting. Campy Ergo on
both bikes, because the cables did not interfere with the pilot's legs. It
worked great 99 percent of the time. In fact, I think it worked better,
except for that fraction of 1 percent I eluded to above.

Here are some points that I concluded before I put them back there. In fact,
some points may have been further actualized once I did it.

1. I do not get distracted by scenery, other bikes, etc. Often, I find that
pilots shift with their eyes. I, shift with my feet. In other words, I have
ridden with pilots who see an uphill approaching and will downshift too
much. We over spin, lose contact with the momentum of the bike and it slows
down. With the stoker shifting, he/she would gradually feel the pedals
resisting and gear in one step increments to match whatever load is taking
place, better preserving efficiency and momentum.

2. Any two riders on a tandem will have different suggestions about gears on
any given day, based on how strong one feels at the moment. I actually think
there was less discussion about gears required when I had the shifters. The
only verbal information I needed was when to change chainrings, like for a
long, or steep hill. Using the left hand, right LM & Joe? Other than that, I
could put us in whatever gear we needed. I did not have to ask the pilot to
trim the front derailler, either. This is a noise that will occur when you
shift several gears in the rear. Sometimes, you have to make slight
adjustments of the front derailler via the left shifter to make it go away.
The pilot cannot hear it as much as the stoker, because the crankset is
behind the pilot. The pilot also has more wind noise and cannot hear the
bike as well as the stoker.

3. I actually had more pilots ride with me, because they did not have to
worry about shifting. Again, the Shimano vs. Campagnolo issue often arises
when I have a new pilot. For that first, crucial ride, it was one less thing
for the pilot to worry about.

4. It is a fair division of labor between the two riders. They get the
steering and brakes. I get the steering and shifters. I think the stoker has
a chance to demonstrate competence in a legitimate, NFB fashion. I believe
that I surprised a lot of people in my club, as well as at the 2003 IBSA
World Championships, when I had the shifters.

4. Should the tandem be put on a trainer, the gears are already there for
the stoker. Though, since I prefer to ride it indoors, where the climate is
better controlled, I prefer a single on the trainer for space savings. My
trainer is up all year, right in front of the entertainment center.

I do wave to cars, especially those who are friendly to cyclists, but I do
not ever want to be considered passive, or less a rider than the pilot. At
the Dallas convention, I went riding with a lady friend of mine that I met
on an earlier bike ride, in fact. She is a newer rider, but had a lot of
confidence to ride with me. After our 40 mile ride, she concluded that
though I was the stoker, my experience and coaching her convinced her that I
was really the pilot. Submission does not automatically mean inferiority.
Without an order of things, you will end up with a two-headed monster,
instead of a strong team. In fact, tandems are often referred to as
relationship accelerators. Whatever is already there, riding tandem will
bring it to the surface.

So, rear shifting is indeed a legitimate alternative. Now, that said, I also
enjoy having my pilots learn to shift well on the tandem. I also like to
have riders, who have never ridden Campy shifters to try them. I may have
made some converts over the years. Did you know that Shimano never won a
Tour de France until the 7 Lance years?

I do have pilots, even yesterday miss a shift. But it makes me a better
spinner, or builds my strength. One lady I have ridden with is a casual
cyclist. She is always in the wrong gear. If I kept suggesting every time, I
would sound like a parrot, so I either endure it, or avoid riding with her.
If I had the shifters, she would have a better opportunity to become
accustomed to a faster cadence, which is much more efficient for most
riders.

Best,

Ron & the really not a power trip, or control issue bears
Austin, TX