[Sportsandrec] accommodations and labeling cardio equipment

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Fri May 15 12:03:29 UTC 2009

Ashley,

My gym, Berkeley Ironworrks is a for profit operation with a handful
of locations within the Bay Area, but words themselves are hard
pressed to do any kind of justice to the unprecedented tendency for
the staff and other clients at Ironworks treating you like a real
athlete despite obvious blindness.
The vibe there is well worth the fees, which, by comparison are
probably considered kind of high, The other clients are very
accepting and accommodating without the requisite patronization, we
all know and love.

I do take abs class at  Ironworks with an instructor who has become
my pen pal and friend.
We approached that particular feat by simply meeting with this
fabulous guy prior to attempting a formal class, so he could get to
know us and we could learn the exercises before slipping as
seamlessly as possible into the class.
I'm not sure this is the precedent, though, and the success were
found in abbs class might be so easy because John is so cool and down
to earth. chain type outfits with a more corporate template.

.

I take yoga at the LightHouse so obviously they are exceptionally
accommodating to blinks, hesitating not to be deliciously hands-on in
their building of the postures.
Good luck, Ashley!
Carly