[Sportsandrec] hunting techniques

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Mon Nov 9 13:22:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just an update on the pheasant hunt I participated in yesterday.  Out of 5 birds that we flushed I was able to bag two.  The first one was a snafu as my gun did not even fire, and I don't know if it was because it was brand new or what, but the bird ended up free.  My partner and I along with the assistance of a bird dog, ended up taking the 2nd bird on the second shot; a very nice rooster.  The third one was a miss and the back-up shooter missed as well, while the fourth one was another bird in the bag with the second shot, and the last bird was a bird that flushed out too far for anyone to get a shot at.  As a group, we ended up taking 10 birds for 3 hunters, and it was an absolutely beautiful day to be out in the field!  The birds make a lot of noise when they flush, so this made it a little easier to key on on them,b ut with the rather strong wind we had to deal with yesterday, it added a little more challenge to the hunt.  I definitely know that this will not be my only pheasant hunt as I plan to get out again once the corn is all harvested and there is a little snow on the ground.  We dealt with a lot of tall grass; about thigh high, which is not easy to walk through either, but again, that is hunting.

Now, I am pumped for the deer hunting season that will take place in about 1.5 weeks here in Wisconsin.

Steve

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."  IICorinthians 5:3