[Sportsandrec] Missing the Usual Suspects and a note for Nashville Riders

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Thu Sep 3 15:21:53 UTC 2009

Either my email is messed up, or the usual list suspects are unusually quiet...So, is anybody up to anything good/bad or constructive/destructive?

For riders in the volunteer state, I've recently come across a group in the Nashville area pairing blind stokers for tandem rides. Les Wooldridge, my captain (or is it "I'll be his stoker..." since it is his bike) next week in Colorado, says the group organizes rides almost weekly, and they currently have about eight tandem captains available. The contact for this group is Ricky Jones, who I think is the executive director of the Tennessee Association of Blind Athletes, and his email is tnaba at bellsouth.net.

Les also mentioned that he and a few others from this group are throwing around the idea of a website to pair captains and blind stokers nationwide, so anyone interested in sharing their "captain stash," start pulling out those business cards and scraps of contact info. The website idea is still in the "wouldn't it be nice" stage, but could be a valuable asset for a national (or even international) tandem team pairing, or when you've traveled to a convention or some other meeting and you need a "cyclo-fix."

Would love to stay and chat, but in preparation for Colorado Springs, I have three training rides to get in today, and I have to check out my new arm and leg warmers...Think my 80s pink "Flashdance" knit leg warmers will be acceptable in the peloton?