[Sportsandrec] Another first group ride of the season

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Wed Apr 7 21:47:16 UTC 2010

The week prior to my first group ride of the season was nice, with calm breezes and temps in the mid 60s.Until Thursday before the ride that is, when we got 6 inches of snow. Ah, spring in the Rockies.

Saturday's ride went anyway, with a decent turnout. The weather was a little less than cooperative though, with 45 mph winds (which ironically was a direct head wind on every significant hill we climbed), icy patches in the underpasses, and a temp of 27 degrees. Still, we got about 30 miles in on the "freight train," (my new nick name for the greenway tandem because it's almost that long, and at least that heavy), and actually had most of the group drafting us on the hills (and getting dropped on the descents).

Special thanks to the local bike shop where the ride started and ended; we returned to the employees cooking a sausage and bacon, scrambled eggs, bagels, and fruit breakfast.

During the ride I was contemplating the upgrades I wanted to make to the freight train, when I reached for the poorly located water bottle and stuck my fingers in the timing chain. Now the greenway bike is for sale, and I'm looking at a "new" Burley this weekend. I've been thinking about a bike with a little better fit for me, but the whole fingers in the timing chain sealed the deal.

Ah, it's great to spend a little time off the trainer and on the roads.

Kelly "stoking the freight train"