[Sportsandrec] Another first group ride of the season

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Apr 8 03:53:20 UTC 2010

Hi Kelly,

Great ride report! I love to hear about other stokers' experiences.

I also like the name of your tandem. It must be darn heavy! Makes me think
of that 80's song, "She's as heavy as a Chevy. pure excitement., Mis led!"

So, tell me about how you led the train up the hills, but got dropped on the
descents? Maybe your pilot was actually being wise with the ice? Otherwise,
I would have thought the opposite. We usually have to ride strong to keep
the group in sight on the ascents, but gain it all back and then some on the
descents.

Regarding the fingers in the transfer chain, If you grab your bottle from
the other side of the frame, you should be fine. I use the bottle as a cane
of sorts to feel for the cage. I may even use my other hand to grab it
first. A dropped bottle in a pack at speed can cause an accident, so I am
very careful.

Tell me about the Burley you are contemplating. I rode a 1992 Burley Rock &
Roll in California. It's name was Ferdinand, after the bull. It felt solid
and responsive. Of course, my pilot had a lot to do with that, too.:)

I am selling my KHS, because I found an Ibis Cousin-It that is a bit
smaller. I hate to see the KHS go away, but I cannot keep two 26" wheeled
tandems in the stable. The Ibis is Panther Pink, but my girlfriend loves it.

Tell me about the fit issues on your Greenway. Is it too short? Most better
tandems are 27 inches or more between the two riders. The old Columbia I
rode with Lindsay was a short 24 inches. That bike sure tuned up well,
though. My 1995 KHS is the longest, here  at Bear Central at 29 inches.

Great to hear from you! Has anyone heard from Everett?

Best,

Ron & the always enjoy riding vicariously through the words of others bears
Austin, TX
www.bicycling blind.org
rock the bike at us family dot net