[Sportsandrec] Speaking of trains

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Apr 8 16:34:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

Kelly's post reminded me of a different sort of train. If you think a tandem
draws more waves and smiles as you ride around town, just add a bicycle
trailer. I regularly pull a one-wheeled sport trailer behind my
urban-assault tandem to run errands. I have easily exceeded the trailer's
weight limit of 70 pounds, with groceries and cat supplies. A tandem is
eight feet long, so the trailer adds another 2 to 3'.

I was recently in Phoenix with my girlfriend. Her mother has a white Cocker
Spaniel that absolutely adores both ladies. Rather than leave Dickens at
home alone, we brought him with us on the ride. Now, he is no average, couch
potato pooch, mind you. Dickens has his own hiking boots, kayak
color-coordinated life jacket, and a fleece for those cooler workouts.

My girlfriend has often ridden with Dickens on her half bike. She pulls him
in a two-wheeled, Burley baby trailer. So, she just hitched him up to the
tandem. It was a beautiful day, so he even had the top down. We just need to
get him a pair of Oakleys, and maybe an Adventure Dog cape, or Red Baron
scarf. While riding, I hardly noticed that we were pulling another 30-35
pounds. While ascending overpasses, the bike did slow a bit more, but
nothing unbearable.

It was fun to hear fellow trail users catching glances at Dickens. We were
making movies on location. We regularly heard comments like, "Look at the
dog!"

We rode the Indian Wash bike path, in Tempe, I think. We even rode a little
too close to a rattlesnake that was sunning him or herself.

Best,

Ron & the not sure how we'd feel about the trailer bears
Austin, TX
http://bicyclingblind.org