[Sportsandrec] Another first group ride of the season

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Thu Apr 8 22:18:14 UTC 2010

Ron and the others,

I may have misspoke, or didn't articulate "being dropped" on the descents properly.We were actually dropping the group on those descents.

The "freight train" (a Trek T900) really isn't that heavy, but it isn't a 7kg single, or even a 12kg Packetta. I've never actually weighed it, but between the marshmallow tires, 48-spoke rims, its upright seating positions, and granny gearing, it just feels heavy. As for the fit, Trek advertises the size as 18.5" in the front and a whopping 14.5" in the rear (I've had my tape measure all over the stoker position, and I can't find a 14.5" measurement anywhere). I'm an unusual fit normally, with smaller frames and taller seat settings (I think my thighs are disproportionately long), but on this rig I've got the seat as far back as it will safely go, and I'm still trying to slip off the back when really pushing it. I could probably find a laid back seat post, but that whole water bottle thing.

You know, I usually reach for a bottle with my right hand, but for some reason I went for the left this time (and the timing chain). The right wasn't much better; that's when I got kicked by the captain. The bottle mount is really low on the captain's seat tube.

I'm looking at a Burley Duet (circa 2001). The owner bought it for him and his disabled wife, but her condition got worse and they only rode a couple hundred miles. He says he hasn't done any upgrades on it, but it has Rolf wheels and a Dura Ace drive train?!? He wants a grand for it, which I consider reasonable if the drive train and wheels are what he says they are. If the purchase goes through, my first change will be to remove the Flight Deck computer! They're nice if they work, but that's usually only about 10% of the time.

It sounds like you got in some nice rides out west. I've ridden with a BOB trailer a couple times, and a child trailer once. I once saw in Europe a bike with four riders and a trailer, on a bike path no less. We followed them for miles just to see them negotiate a couple of the switchbacks in the path. Let's hear it for "Long Vehicles."

The Freight Train Stoker

Kelly