[Sportsandrec] Tandem Stoker Technology

Fred C regenerative at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 25 04:41:24 UTC 2010

HI All!

My name is Fred Chambers, and one of my hobbies is tandem cycling.  I
really enjoy the fresh air, the workout, and the sensation of speed.
I've read that some blind stokers are on this list.  What do you
ride?  I've got a KHS Alite that I ride on or offroad.  I swap the
tires, and it does OK.  Most of my  captains complain about the rough
ride, their numb hands, and sore butts, etc.  It works pretty well
for me, and the only things I'd change would be a second set of
wheels.  My other tandem is a recumbent.  (Actually, I have two, but
one is not long for this world.)  My newest ride is a tandem
recumbent trike from S&B Recumbents.  It's wonderful, fast, smooth,
and easy to ride.  Its only drawbacks are that it is over 9-feet
long, and I doubt it'd do well offroad.

I recently discovered a Blind Stokers' Club.  They are
"international," but based near me in San Diego.  I've not ridden
with them yet, due to already having rides set-up, etc.  The group is
fairly well-funded, and grows by about a dozen stokers a month.  They
do not have a discussion list, mostly because they meet at rides and
network then.

My main reason for writing was to ask whether you have found any
blind-friendly stoker technology?  I'd love to know how fast we're
going, where we are, points of interest, a cycling GPS that is more
verbose than what I hear people using in cars, etc.  Ideally, it
would be Bluetooth compatible, with a built-in speaker, as well as
being all-weather and shock-proof.
What do you use?

Is anything like this out there?

Thanks,