[Sportsandrec] Tandem stoker technology

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Sun Apr 25 20:32:11 UTC 2010

Fred,

Welcome.

I'm currently riding a 2000ish Burley Duet with a Dura Ace drive train and Rolf wheels. I also have a "greenway" tandem, a Trek T900, that hits the roads occasionally on "no-drop" family-group rides (although the captains I recruit from the bike club really prefer the Burley over the Trek...I wonder why???). The third bike (just a frame right now) in the stable is a custom-built Bianchi tandem. I'm debating whether or not to build this one up; it's a pretty unique frame (as far as I know, Bianchi never mass-produced a tandem frame).

As for "talking" GPS and bike computers, I think you are pretty limited. My personal resolution is to have the captain relay information from the "non-GPS" computer. If I need GPS capabilities, I carry either my Trekker or Breeze (be sure to bag them to avoid sweat contamination).

A third option [maybe] is an iPhone. I know there is a "bike computer" app, which, I think, gives speed and GPS info. The latest versions of the iPhone are supposed to be pretty accessible, and you might be able to use a Bluetooth headset to hear the information. I've never tried this approach; iPhones aren't very prevalent out here in Wyoming.

As for blind stoker lists, have you ever heard of "EyeCycle?" They actually "train" sighted captains to pilot for blind stokers. They're only in a couple western states (I think they started in California, and know they are operating in Colorado), and I think they may still have an organization in California. The last contact information I have for EyeCycle California is:

Claudia Folska,

1714 Armacost Ave., Suite 2, Los Angeles, CA 90025

(310) 207-4154.

This information is quite old, but she might be able to point you in the right direction. I couldn't find any other contact information or a group website with a Google search.

Best of luck,

Kelly