[Sportsandrec] judo experiences

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Sat Dec 18 02:12:15 UTC 2010

I started judo classes 40 years ago.  I met my husband in judo, yes we fell
for each other.

I would learn techniques by acting as uke and my partner would demonstrate
the techniques on me.  Then I was able to copy what they had done.

I absolutely love judo, it literally changed my life from a shy kid who was
excused from gym class in public school to an active adult. My husband and I
are both third degree black belts in judo.  We had an active club years ago.

I have also practiced jui-jitsu, aiki-jitsu, aikido, tai chi and Krav Maga
and now BJJ.  I enjoy hands on sports.  I also love western style horseback
riding,  riding a  tandam bike, swimming, hiking and when I lived up north I
did cross country skiing and mountain climbing,

Learning to fall is not difficult.  We would teach falling by starting in a
sitting position, then go up to a squat, bent legs and standing.  In aikido
the falls are more crumbling then falling, but once you know how to fall it
comes in really handy like the time I fell backwards down a flight of stairs
and landed on my back and I didn't get hurt, or the time I walked off a

If you go to the United States Judo Association online at:
http://www.usja-judo.org you can search for a club near you or you can call
them to locate a club.  There are still clubs that don't charge for lessons
but operate as clubs.  this was the way judo was taught for years unlike the
money making karate schools.

I am very happy you are considering judo, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

JODY