[Sportsandrec] judo experiences

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Sat Dec 18 02:17:18 UTC 2010

Hello Ashley,

I didn't answer all your questions so here goes.  As for learning Japanese
it just comes at the speed you are learning the techniques.  It will just
seem natural to call the throw by it's Japanese name.  You might ask why we
don't learn the names in just English.  Well, I once met a French competitor
who didn't speak English but he did know the names of the throws in Japanese
so there was no language barrier.  I also met a student from China who had
not learned the names of the techniques in Japanese and he had a hard time
knowing what we were talking about without a demonstration.
Idealy you should have lessons two or three times a week so you don't have
to worry about cross training at first.  I have a heavy bag and weights at
home and we also have a ten foot by ten foot mat and my husband and I can
work out together.

Judo is a great family activity and our kids were involved too.

JODY