[Sportsandrec] new member and a question

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 10 04:45:31 UTC 2010

Hi Ben,

Nice to see you on list.  For now my main activity is walking.
I have participated in spin classes as well and was able to follow it pretty well.  However sometimes I did not know what position they were in or the stretches they were doing; still spin class was the most accessible.

I have seen you on other lists.  I am also a young adult in my 20s who has low vision.  I have my central vision.  I feel your pain and uncertainty regarding group classes.  Since they are fast paced and lead by demonstration this is visual and presents some challenges.
Aquatic aerobics and toning workouts are great so hope it works out.  There are also water fitness trainers but that is rather expensive.

I think you should look into doing the class before giving up.  Whether it works depends on the instructor's attitude and willingness to adapt and work with you.  I was unfortunate to run into a jerk dance instructor at college who was rude and refused to accomodate me.  I was forced to drop the class.  I tried hard to explain and work with him but he was in his mind set and I was getting more hurt psychologically so abandoned that idea.

You said this is a local public pool so since its public they should be aware they need to accomodate people with disabilities.  I think you should speak to the manager of the pool program.  Find out how the class is structured.  They cannot give you the instructor's contact info but the instructor may be able to call you.  After speaking with the manager if you are still interested, talk to the instructor.  Suggest accomodations.

You might also want to observe a class or two in order to see how its run.  Accomodations you might ask for are to be in the front row, ask the instructor to verbalize instructions, use directions rather than pointing when class moves around and maybe see if he or she can tell you where the water equipment is  before class.  You may have difficulty learning what the moves mean unless you are shown. The instructor can call out cues but you have to understand them.  So getting some hands on demonstration before class is ideal; but they don't have to work one to one with you since its a class but it can't hurt to ask.

I participated in water aerobics at a public recreation facility during the summer.  I had an assistant through the county.  Additionallly we asked the instructor to be more verbal and I was able to stay in the front.
Since I had someone showing me what was happening and giving me additional verbal instruction it worked out okay.  If you have a friend or classmate willing to help you this would also be in your favor.  If you cannot see well enough to learn the moves someone showing you may work the best.  After you know them you can follow verbal cues.

Fortunately water aerobics is similar to land aerobics so its not something very new to pick up.  For instance you'll do jogging, marching, jumping jacks, kicks and arm movements based on swim strokes.

Good luck.

Ashley