[Sportsandrec] new member and a question

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 10 03:19:56 UTC 2010

Hi, Ben,

         I am totally blind, without eyeballs in fact, but grew up to
hold physical fitness and body image in an unprecedented high regard.

My mother and I would just show up at various classes and athletic
events, and she would introduce me to the instructor before saying,
"oh, by the way she's blind" and that was it, they would presumably
see that I was a together enough kid and looked alright, and would
take on the challenge of adapting the material to be workable for a
blind person.
Today at age 26 I spin and do abs class at the local health club.
It seems People hafta just get used to blind folks not being
invalids, because this is what most expect from people with pour
eyesight, for them to totally dig their current realities whatever
they may be, stay in the chair and shutup and don't give your sighted
keepers hassles by being dissatisfied.
You'll hafta let me know how your experience as a partial differs from mine?
I would encourage you to just see if the instructor is open to
verbalizing his instructions or if you can partner with another
member of the class.
Keep us posted, but it seems you may hafta add this activity to that
list of stuff from which you are forced to be excluded.
But really, try those things, see how they work.
Carly of Berkeley :