[Sportsandrec] Talking Pedometers

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 12 01:48:32 UTC 2010

I've used a couple different talking pedometers with limited success, and now I rely on my GPS to calculate walking distances. Once the pedometer is set up, it can give you the number of steps, an approximate distance traveled, and estimated calories used. Some even have a built in FM radio, but I wouldn't recommend wearing the headphones while you are out and about.

The distance traveled is only a rough estimate because as the terrain changes, so does your stride. You may also need some sighted help measuring your stride and programming the unit. Most have you walk a certain number of steps (sometimes as few as ten, sometimes forty or more), and then measure the distance covered to find out your stride length.

Some pedometers allow for two different stride settings (maybe one for walking and another for jogging). This is useful if you both walk and jog (but not both during the same exercise session).

The calorie calculators are a really rough estimate, and are hardly reliable for too many reasons to get into.

Another tactic with the pedometer is to wear it for a few days, or maybe a week, to get an average of how many steps you take a day, then setting a goal like increasing your daily steps by 500 or 1000 every week or two.

Finally, take a couple "test" walks with your pedometer to find the best position to wear it on your person by mentally counting your steps on a short walk and checking it against your pedometer's count. Usually, on your belt works best, but for some people the meter doesn't count right when positioned on the hip.

Enjoy.

Kel