[Sportsandrec] Anyone totally blind and member of a gym?

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 22:07:03 UTC 2010

Hi, Tanya,

         I don't know if this will work as well for you as it does
for many other totals on this board, but my total common law husband,
Robin and I are devotees to indoor cycling, aka spin class where you
use an indoor bicycle to execute a complete workout. Usually there is
a soundtrack to which you change cadences according to the
instructors direction.
Spin classes are conducted in a single room or area so you can learn
how to get to the spin area, then in my experience other members of
the class are very willing to assist with setting up the bike, after
your settings are identified.
Some people on this board say each member of the class is outfitted
with headphones for getting the instructions, though this is not the
case at our gym, at Berkeley Ironworks the instructor calls the
instructions in his natural voice.  Each instructor has his own style
and you learn to spot the details of how he delivers the directions,
though they are fundamentally the same from instructor to instructor.
I encourage you to give it a try, for once you have been bitten by
the spin bug there is no looking back.
Since that spin bug found me, I eat whatever I want and, I imagine
look alright, not to mention feel great! It's a really body thing, spin is.
When i am not able to go, I definitely feel it.
Good luck, and please, other spinners, the time is now for you to speak up!