[Sportsandrec] Anyone totally blind and member of a gym?

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 03:15:25 UTC 2010

Hi, Denise,

Right on about spin, my blind common law husband and I are in total
agreement with how spin  affords opportunities of,  not only great
physical fitness but tasty mind time, when you lapse into your zone
and you get lost in the music (even if it isn't your favorite) and
the challenge. However, a word to the wise says, It took a while to
show each instructor in our gym's classes to verbalize, verbalize,
verbalize because I'm sure you know that verbalization is something
that evades some people's nature, so there is a marked difference in
verbosity between our regular instructors and those with whom we seldom ride.
When I first became acquainted with the various instructors at our
gym, I found a reluctance to demand a verbalizing of the workout, and
and ended up missing out on much of it. .
Then I talked with the cycling matriarch extraordinaire  a little and
offered some suggestions of how she could encourage an equal
participation between both her blind patrons, and those who happen to
be sighted, and it made all the difference.
If your situation resorts to such measures, perhaps pose the question
to whomever is instructing the ride  of, how is one to find body
conditioning or acceptional physical fitness if you are constantly
worried about what the instructor is calling for?
Best of Luck  to you finding your spin legs!
Car
PS: If you have problems let me know and perhaps we can figure out a
recourse. I have always been a total..  I find that instructors are
willing to meet ahead of time to explain things and might put you
with someone to help during the classes.  I love the cycling
classes.  Some instructors don't use a microphone so, I try to be
near the instructor.  The cycling classes are great for people of all
fitness levels as you set the resistance for what works for you.