[Sportsandrec] Anyone totally blind and member of a gym?

Roger Acuna kearney125 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 01:58:44 UTC 2010

Tonia,
I am also completely blind and work out at a local gym regularly.  I found
that the best way to gain confidence in navigating a gym floor is to first
have someone take you around to each workout station.  You may want to do
this two or three times or untill you become totally femiliar with the
layout. In your case, perhaps the personal trainer could assist you in this
process.  In my case, I simply asked a gym worker to take me around and I
found that gym workers were more than happy to show me around to learn the
layout of the gym.    During your orientation, be sure to get a good feel of
the machine or weights at each station. (IE) Notice the length, hight and
with of each station area so that you could later easily recognize it when
you are on your own. I  am a guidedog user but I find that using a cane
enables me to more easily tap in and around protruding equipment parts.
Also talk to a supervisor about labeling certain machines.    I have found
that supervisors are receptive to the idea when you literally show them how
you would label it and explain how it would benefit you.  I have worked out
at various gyms over the years and have never had an issue regarding my
complete vision disability.  Just tell them what they want to hear and I can
not imagine that you would have to many problems at your gym.    Also, don't
be shy about asking "is there anyone using this machine"?  This simple
question will prevent you from sitting on someone.  I have sat on people
before. Most times embarrassing and sometimes pleasant! lol!  Anyway, Good
luck, and happy workouts all around.