[Sportsandrec] Tips for Problems Running on Track

Tai Blas taiablas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 02:31:51 UTC 2010

Hello all. I am currently training for a 5k and am wanting to run on
an indoor track at times. I have joined the local YMCA and asked
whether I could hold the rail while running around the track. I was
told that this would be fine. I tied a towel around the rail so that I
can keep track of how many times I have run around the track. The
problems are:

1. Other track users do not realize that I am blind.

2. When I run in the same direction as other runners, they do not see
me when I am coming up behind them and I run into them. This mostly
happens when they stop to tie their shoes or rest by the rail.

3. When I run in the opposite direction as other runners in an effort
to be more visible to them, I am constantly stopped and told that I am
running the wrong way and that I should be running in the same
direction as everyone else.

4. People generally do not pay attention and sometimes just stand
around against the rail. I thought that seeing someone holding the
rail while running might be a clue that I cannot see, but that is not
the case.

Short of wearing a shirt or hat that says "blind dude" or carrying my
cane while I run, can anyone recommend other tips? Sure, I could run
elsewhere or get a partner, but I would like to run at times when a
partner is not always available to run with me. At the same time, I do
not want to hurt someone else or injure myself and I do not want to
bring up liability concerns at the YMCA.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tai