[Sportsandrec] Blind Golf

lhonpoince at aol.com lhonpoince at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 04:49:58 UTC 2011

 Hi-
Recently there's been discussion of blind golf.  My son became legally blind just over 2 years ago due to LHON.  He's always been a golfer, and soon after losing his central vision he took up the sport again with his dad as his coach/caddie/guide.  He played in a couple of USBGA (US Blind Golf Assn) events, and was invited to compete in the World Blind Golf Championships in the UK last summer.  He competed against 60 golfers representing 14 countries, and won in a playoff.  He's garnered quite a bit of medial coverage; you can check it out at http://www.lhon.org/jeremypoincenot/Media.html

Here's the link to the USBGA:  http://www.usblindgolf.com/
The site has links that may be helpful for anyone starting out.  Also, someone asked about tournaments in Arizona; there's a tournament scheduled in Arizona in April.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Lissa Poincenot
LHONpoince at aol.coom

p.s. - I joined this group when Jeremy first lost his vision and haven't yet posted; not sure if I'm doing it right!