[Sportsandrec] thanks Everyone!

Audrey Farnum atfarnum at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:12:42 UTC 2011

Hi Danielle,

I started rowing in a unique program at the Chesapeake Boathouse in
Oklahoma City that is designed specifically to get visually impaired
people started in the sport. I rowed with the VI team all last year
then this season I moved into the regular masters coached rowing
program where I am the only blind rower on the team. I continue to row
on the VI team as well just to get more time on the water. Even
without the availability of a specific  program, many boathouses have
adaptive rowing programs for all types of disabilities. Having learned
to row after becoming blind, I feel confident that anyone with
patience and determination can learn to row without any adaptive type
program. It just takes an open minded coach who is willing to do a
little extra work at the beginning to help teach the basic stroke and
terminology. Before we ever got on the water, I had a little one on
one time with a coach who put me on a rowing machine and broke the
stroke down into individual steps showing me how my body should be
positioned at each point in the stroke. Most of the coaches I have
worked with have been very  good at describing how everything should
feel instead of using visual demonstrations as I worked to improve my
stroke. I learned pretty quickly that being blind is really an
advantage in rowing. I never developed the bad habit of looking
sideways to watch my oar. I am also more in tune with the feel of the
boat and what is going on than most sighted rowers. I have had several
coaches tell me that my ability to feel the boat and my awareness of
what my body is doing is excellent and that feel for a boat is really
difficult to teach. Rowing is a perfect sport for the blind because it
is so tactile. I get so much information through the seat, my oar
handles and the foot boards. I can feel everyone else in the boat and
know exactly when to take my stroke in time with my teammates. It has
been an amazing experience and I am hopelessly addicted to the sport.
I'm on 2 teams and practice 5 times a week and love every minute of
it. I also enjoy the opportunity to disprove stereotypes of blindness.
Earlier this season, I was paired in a double up with a guy who was
new to the boathouse and didn't know anything about my abilities. When
the coach paired us up, the guy was pretty surly and obviously hacked
off about having to row with the blind girl. After we finished and
were getting the boat out of the water, he told me I was the best
partner he'd rowed with since joining the boathouse and that he really
enjoyed rowing with me.  He later went and told the coach the same
thing and she absolutely loved it because she had noticed his reaction
as well. It was a great feeling to show this guy that blindness does
not equal incompetence.

OK, I could ramble on forever about rowing. I'll make myself keep this
relatively short so I don't bore everyone. I'm happy to answer any
questions if you have any.

Audrey