[Sportsandrec] Totally Blind Doing Box Jumps?

Tai Blas taiablas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:18:26 UTC 2012

Hello. I am doing Crossfit workouts and really enjoying them, even
though they are extremely challenging. One of our exercises requires
jumping on and off wooden boxes 12" to 24" off the ground. The box
curves inward toward the top, so the platform you jump on is slightly
smaller than the size of the base of the box and the sides of the box
are curved. We are asked to do repetitive jumps. Sighted athletes use
their perripheral vision to make adjustments if they are not centered
during their jump. I am concerned that I might get injured if I jump
off center or don't land where I should. Does anyone have any tips for
this? I know of people who jump onto long folded up gym mats which
allow them more protection from injury due to the length and relative
softness of the mats. However, mats are not available at my gym at
this point.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Tai