[Sportsandrec] Totally Blind Doing Box Jumps?

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Fri Jan 20 19:31:39 UTC 2012

Hi Tai,

Just so you don't feel bad my sighted husband has crashed several times
while doing box jumps.  He has skinned his shins many times.

How about if you use two hiking poles each on the back corner of the box as
a reference and jump up using them as a guide.

I just saw a video on Erik Weihenmeyer's website where he is using Cross Fit
to get ready for a kayak race.  They propped a Bosu on two supports and he
sits on it then they put a kayak paddle under tension to simulate resistance
in the water.  He figures if he can do four minutes of intense paddling then
he will be able to do a two minute race.

A bosu is a square plywood base with a dome on top that is about 18 inches
across.  It is soft and squishy and very difficult to stand on.  It is
fantastic for improving your balance and building all the small muscles in
your feet, ankles and legs.  They cost about $100 which is a lot for what
they are.  I don't have one but I wish I did.

JODY