[Sportsandrec] Training for and running half marathons

Lori Lori at asmodean.net
Thu Jan 26 19:30:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

Running with a tether is a popular method. Some runners wear a sign on a
running belt about their blindness so that people don't try to run between
them. There is a video put out by US Paralympics that I believe covers some
cross country. It starts off about sprints and track running. You might want
to check with the CDifferent Foundation about tips and potential guides.
Challenged athletes might also have resources of interest. Some folks like
the guide to verbally instruct them to take their elbow when dealing with
steps and stairs while others prefer not to. Often tethers are long enough
so both guide and blind runner can easily swing their arms not to mess up
their running mechanics. United States Association of Blind Athletes holds a
national championship for Marathons anually. www. usaba.org.