[Sportsandrec] Working with New Fitness Center

Robin robin-melvin at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 20:18:07 UTC 2012

Rock Climbing is another way. Here IN Berkeley,CA I attend a Fitness
& Climbing Facility . I've experimented with various exercise
equipment such as Stationary Bikes, Treadmills, and Ellipticals.

As for your question, stationary Bikes do NOT provide a TOTAL BODY
WorkOut. You can receive aerobic activity and muscle toning from the
abdominal region and below, but you are neglecting your upper body region.

As for navigating the facility, I either go alone in pairs or ask for
some assistance. I know this asking for assistance is NOT popular,
but I SEE it as an opportunity to EDUCATE Ol'Sighty on blindness and
give him/her connection at least to 1 person, who is TOTALLY BLIND.
Other members usually come up to me while I'm navigating to offer
assistance even if I don't need it. I figure if they offer, I should
accept. It breaks down communication barriers.

I'm completely capable when I have to be, and that's all that is important.

These members, who offer usually comment that they SEE me navigate
throughout the Bay Area,CA, and are amazed how I'm able to do it. I
inform them that if they were Blind, they would find a way to do it like I do.