[Sportsandrec] [Sportsandrec) Gyms and dog guides

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 12:29:22 UTC 2012

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the list.  My best suggestion would to not start your first time
at "prime time" when the gym is crowded.  Its going to be sensory overload
for the dog. Its a great idea to try to go in at a quieter time at first and
try to learn the basic layout. Figure out what equiptment you will be
regularly using and kind of justget  yourself and the dog comfortable. It
will make things much easier when you do go and the place is crowded.  You
said a new guide dog.  Expect the dog to be the center of attention and be
ready to deal with that.  Once you become part of the regular crowd it will
be cool and no one will bother the dog but at first expect lots of people
wanting to pet her/him.
I have been bringing my dogs into gyms for the past 15 years and never have
had any problems.  What I have found works best for me though is to place
the dog in a fixed spot rather than trying to work her around the gym floor.
I tried that at first but found it just took too long to change to a
different piece of equiptment and then resettle the dog etc. Manigment may
allow you to put the dog behind the counter or somewhere else out of the way
while you do your workout.  I just find it much easier that way.  I just
find a corner and that becomes her spot and I check on her sevral times
during my workout.  People tell me she watches me whereever I am and
eventually just goes to sleep til I come back. Thats just how I have found
it to work the best for me.  You may prefer to keep the dog with you.  If I
can be of any help re the gym the dog etc please feel free to contact me off
the list
Bill
williamkociaba at comcast.net