[Sportsandrec] zumba

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 23 02:11:15 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Anyone participated in zumba, the latin aerobics based dance workout?
It seems fast, but fun. More accomodation would need to be made to participate.
I cannot do it at my gym since well, the music is quite loud and I would not hear the instructor clearly.
But I did visit a class or two at my community rec center.

Instructors told me its meant to be a quiet activity except for the music; there are not names for every dance step. They said though that names and audio cues could be made up if I came. In other dance classes, they do at leasst state names before performing the exercise.
As with most classes, this is taught via demonstration primarily. But in my observation, its quieter; in other classes they say names and count reps or steps. In fact instructors usually project loudly, so I can hear their instructions down the hall.

I did try an aerobics class at a community center near my college before I joined the gym. She did call out names; thing was it went so fast that even with a little audio cues, it was hard to follow. The instructor would say things like “march right; march single” or “grapevine left”
Someone showed me some of the steps so I knew what the cues meant.

Anyway, zumba seemed more quiet than that aerobics class I attempted to participate in.
So, if anyone tried it I’d like to know what you did and how you learned and followed the steps. Did you learn the basics and do those without the fancy foot work and arm movements? I’m sure there’s some basic steps that its patterned from.
What was a typical class like?

Thanks.
Ashley