[Sportsandrec] Blind skateboarder

JUSTIN LOUCHART jalouchart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 23:01:32 UTC 2013

Hi, Jody and Kar,

The click is basically made in two different ways. You might try both
and see which is easier for you. First, try and say the ch sound in
English, as in the name Charlie. Keep the tip of your tongue at the ch
place of the roof of the mouth and pull down the back of the tongue.
The other is the same process, but with the shape of the tongue as
which makes the hard K sound, as in King. This latter is what most
find easier.

There are many reasons these formations are the optimal natural calls.
Regarding the myth that the click is somehow obtrusive, that's a
falsehood popularized by hearing echolocaters who for whatever reason
haven't yet learned to hush the intensity of the sound. In experienced
echolocaters, the sound is barely audible, and typically audible only
by those who know what they're listening for. The sound is also
perfectly pitched for human audition, and furthermore, the flexibility
of a tongue click in terms of volume, direction, pitch, location
relative to the ears, and speed are ideally well-suited for humans
across the board. No other echolocation signal is yet optimized for
human echolocation.

Justin Louchart
Perceptual Mobility Coach
World Access for the Blind