[Sportsandrec] Forest Safety

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Feb 12 15:21:32 UTC 2013

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for this, but remember that even Dr. Jernigan sometimes traveled sighted guide. Until you get to the site and have the opportunity to explore a variety of more independent options, keep your mind open to this one.

Another idea, if this is supposed to be a medieval reenactment and period correct, is to research how the blind back then traveled. If your goal is to be period correct than modern cane techniques and echo location are not an option, and this is where you'll have to decide on the line between your skills and training versus period correctness. Passive sound location and probing/supporting yourself with your staff instead of active echo location and sweeping "cane style" and traveling with groups (the friars and the fools come to mind) are more likely correct.

What an opportunity to expose yourself to blindness in a whole other mindset, era, and under a completely different skill set; just don't let the cardinal lock you up in the dungeon or have you run through...