[Sportsandrec] Forest Safety

Louise Walch louisewalch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:53:22 UTC 2013

I’ve had only one experience with those Tiki torches, but perhaps that
gives me some licence to add to the mix of good ideas so far.

For starters, I’m wondering if it’s really that important to know the
difference between a torch and a tree since when your cane touches the
base, you will be navigating around it in either case. The only
hazards I would imagine are if you were to knock one over, but failing
that, I don’t think the risk to you is very high.

Now to my actual experience—I think beyond feeling the base with your
cane as in normal travel, the heat will be your biggest tipoff since
there is probably going to be a lot of noise and cooking smell to mask
the smell and sound of a torch.

I was at a backyard barbecue using my cane and walked by a torch
completely unaware of its presence until the wind blew and the flame
licked over toward my face. I ducked to the side pretty darn fast, and
for sure it had my heart racing for just a second, but in truth, I
didn’t find the experience to have been so dangerous. Yes, it’s fire,
so your caution is a good thing, but for what it’s worth, I’m less
scared at the thought of navigating around these torches now that I’ve
had at least this one experience. Although the flame touched me
briefly, it wasn’t painful, kind of like snuffing out a match with
your fingers. It’s not that I’m someone who does that on purpose, but
at least I know that if it came to it, the risk of burning seems
smaller. Again, yes I know we’re not just talking about a match, and I
know fire burns and I’m not saying it doesn’t. Perhaps one of you have
had another experience although I’m hoping it was no more serious than
mine. Also, I can just imagine some of you out there thinking, who is
this idiot? Sorry, just take the experience for what it’s worth.

As to knocking a torch over, just so long as they are stuck in the
ground pretty securely I think you’ll be alright. A lighter hollow
fiberglass cane might present less of a problem in this regard, so I
would maybe consider that, but I understand that it might not be in
character with the renaissance genre. I’d say take both types of canes
with you and have all options on the table when you get there and see
how it goes. I suppose the foil wrapping around the bottom isn’t a
half bad idea, but I can see how foliage might make distinguishing
tricky. Try it if it isn’t that big of a hassle to anyone.

Never thought I’d be having this discussion today, so thanks.

Louise Walch, San Antonio, Texas
louisewalch at gmail.com