[Sportsandrec] Forest Safety

JUSTIN LOUCHART jalouchart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:16:28 UTC 2013

Hi, Louise,

In the past I've been extremely comfortable with fire. I'm the idiot
who would hold braille paper in my hand and let it flare up like a
fireball, then toss it into a bonfire when it was already burning me.
I also recognize that my primary connection to fire was the light, not
the heat or the sound. I don't believe it's going to be particularly
dangerous or even difficult to find the torches safely, I just wanted
others' ideas on how to do it before I tried to reinvent the wheel.
Now that I don't have light perception, I'm sort of doing everything
over again just to make absolutely certain that I'm using truly
non-visual techniques. It's safer in my mind to start at square one
and move steadily forward than to assume I know what I'm doing and
light a group of people on fire.

I know that my cane will hit the torches, I just don't know how sturdy
the torches are. That will be a benefit to having a too-long cane. I
won't usually touch trees with my cane, because I'll hear the trees
well in advance of the cane tip making contact. One of the other
things that I thought about today was that I have an extreme advantage
over sighted counterparts regarding this entire light issue. I know
that the torches will be in separations where trees aren't. I'd even
be willing to bet that there's a minimum distance from the foliage
where fire is legally allowed. I can easily stay in the forest on one
side of a trail, click, and see the tree line of the other side of the
trail. In most cases the sound will continue on and bounce through the
trees, allowing me to see at least a couple dozen feet past the
initial tree line. It will be slightly inconvenient if there are any
forks in the trail, but if I'm running an errand for someone they can
just tell me to stay left, or forewarn me about a divide. It isn't a
perfect solution, but it's going to be fun testing it out.

I'm actually a little embarrassed to admit that the smell didn't even
occur to me. Now that I think back on it, I do remember a distinct
aroma coming from the torches. Thanks for the reminder.

Justin