[Sportsandrec] Blind skateboarder

Kendra Schaber Baltimore777 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 18 21:51:54 UTC 2013

You have to start somewhere. I started using a cane in early elementry
school. When I started using a cane, I was in a school district that wasn't
willing to give fair treatment to their disabled students. I could go on for
a while about that but I'm sure that the list moderater would put their foot
down. One thing that they did was that they didn't allow me to use my cane
at home. I had to keep it at the school. I didn't use a cane full time until
I was almost 9 years old when I started my first year at the Oregon School
for the Blind. I have never had a problem with using a cane. I feel quite
nakid with the very idea of not using it in less I'm in a fermiliar
location. My stubernside came out with learning braille. I resisted every
attempt at learning braille until my teachers found something that I liked
and so that put an end to my resistence to braille. I also did not start
learning braille until I was almost 9 years old. I was on the recieving end
of the firmiliar "She can see so she needs to learn large print no matter
what it did to her eyes" card that my school district at the time played. As
for my interest in my favorite sport, hockey, I became a hockey fan at the
same time as I started using a cane full time and as I was starting to learn
braille. I started to learn how to swim around the same time. I also joined
the school running club and have not heard of goalball until talk of
goalball turniments taking place in October or so started spreading around
the school. I was blind before all of that took place. The moral of the
story is that I had a good aditude without early childhood exposure plus
when I did finally get the exposure, it took a couple of years before the
interest to match up with what I was learning. Aditude has a lot to play in
educating any one no matter what disability they have. So does early
exposure along with matching interest to metereal especially in the very
beginning. Again, you have to start somewhere even before it takes place
before you get into any form of sports.
Kendra